PVC-E glue

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:59:44 -0500

Q: I have a new jar, thick as warm honey...jar says don't thin more than 5%
so it must be close to the right consistency?

A: Don't thin it, not at all.

Q: How is it applied?   Roller?  Brush?  Finger?

A: I've tried a lot of ways. What I have settled on is putting the glue in a
hypo-oiler (fairly large needle), running a continuous bead of glue in the
center line of the key from the front to the where the keytop will end, a
little extra on the "head" and some on the front. Keep a clean rag or paper
towels handy, use your finger to spread the glue, very thin at the edges (if
globby at the edge, run the rag along to remove some). Then press the top
into position and hold for about 10 to 15 seconds. If any glue oozes from
the edge or gets on the keytop, wipe it off while it's fresh. It will come
off later but only with a mixture of water and elbow grease--easier to get
it now.

Q: Both key and keytop?  A: No.

Q: Let them dry before joining?  A: No. In fact, don't dawdle. It's not like
CA or something, but it needs to be wet when you join the parts.

Q: Do I have much wiggle room for moving slightly?  A: You bet. NOTHING like
contact cement or CA. You can squish and squirm it into position.

Q: I understand I don't need to clamp...?  A: The only time I've clampped is
if the key is a little warped or something.

Q: Let dry 24 hours before trimming? A: Nah. More like half an hour, tops.

I wouldn't use anything else: For tops, it's tops.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO