That's the Business! was re: Tuning

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:17:01 -0500

I lowered pitch 10+ cents today. It's been rainy and the rel. hum. in =
the
church was 53%. Last tuned 6 months ago. Can't blame the previous tuner, =
and
wouldn't if I could. It was me.
=20
Pianos can go horrendously sharp. Knowing what to do in these situations
requires a judgment call ... this piano needed to be set up right for a
revival so I put it at pitch. On another occasion, I might have left it =
10
cents sharp on a rainy, stormy day after three days of rain--this on the
assumption (always dangerous) that it will fall a little as it dries =
out. On
the other hand, maybe not; our summers are pretty humid anyway. You have =
kind of know the piano, where it lives, and how it's treated.
=20
In this particular case, I had installed a Dampp-Chaser system about 8
months ago to solve this very problem. Today, I found no power at the
outlet--turns out it only comes on with the overhead lights, which I was =
not
using. So, effectively, there has been no DC system in the piano--hence =
the
sharpness.
=20
Now what? They need to change that plug so it has continuous power. BUT =
if
we power up the DC now, that piano will sound like screeching cats in =
about
4 weeks. Hmm. So I left WRITTEN instructions to change the plug but NOT =
plug
the system in until September, then it will have gone all =
squirrelly--but at
a more stable internal environment--and will be more than ready for its =
next
scheduled tuning in October--which very well may require a pitch raise.
=20
BTW, I tell people that if I install a DC system and they maintain it
faithfully (!) then I will never charge them for pitch correction as I'm
tuning.
=20
In today's case, I charged them for the pitch correction.
=20
TUNING: It's an art, a science, a craft. You need people skills, e.g.,
relationship building, teaching, handling complaints, customer service,
salesmanship and a bit of psychology. It's a joy, a pain; satisfying
sometimes, frustrating others. Often you must make educated guesses, =
consult
with voices of experience, experiment a little, check the wind =
direction,
consult a Ouija board, say a prayer and roll the bloody dice. Sometimes =
you
get a pat on the back, a referral, cookies, zucchinis and tomatoes, a =
cash
tip, even dinner with the family. Sometimes you sneak out the door and =
hope
for the best--like when the one-year-old has been screeching and =
screaming
during your entire visit. Sometimes you whistle all the way home. =
Sometimes
you want to run like hell...
=20
...Ain't it grand.=20