Epoxy Soundboard Repair- Coloring of Epoxy

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:20:44 +0100

Hi Andrew

Most of us who have repaired soundboard cracks have run into this one.
To my knowledge there is no real easy surefire way of matching colours.
My reaction has always been to turn the whole thing around and find a
really nice colour contrast.  If you do a very nice job of it, the
repair <<stripes>> can look kinda neat.  An old piano is an old piano.
I never saw the need to hide such signs of age and tear.  Just make it
look presentable and neat.  Course you could just get really really good
at shimming and shading the shims.

Cheers
RicB

Yep.  I meant using epoxy alone.  I've seen epoxy repairs that have really
dark lines through the soundboard where the previous cracks were.  That's
what I'm trying to avoid.

Andrew