PTG...what's it mean?

J. Stanley Ryberg jstan40@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:33:12 -0700 (PDT)

Stepping into the minefield ...

The PTG is not a huge, insensitive, controlling bureaucracy. It is a relatively small group of people. People with similar professional interests, problems, and needs. It is democratic in that we vote in the ultimate decision makers and they, in turn, are trusted to hire and supervise staff who help us achieve the organization's mission, as well as our own.

Because the people who make up this organization are from such broadly diverse positions in geography, age, experience, talent, training, and career focus (rebuilding, tuning, design, etc.), I'm not sure it's realistic to make everyone happy, in all respects, all of the time. But it saddens me to know that some people, some times, seem so unhappy.

There are solutions to concerns. If we hang together, think positively, and contribute, we can find those solutions. For example, I agree that the RPT designation might, perhaps, only be a first level of professional designation with at least one more level available. I know this is an old debate, but I'm not thrilled with the term Registered Piano Technician because "registered" simply means your name is on someone's records. Heck, sex offenders are registered! So I'd prefer terms such as Certified or Qualified, then how about a second level of professional certification such as Master Piano Technician, or some such?

Anyway, I know some people don't seem to be truly happy until they are miserable but the whole thing truly is in our own hands, we are the people who make up this organization. I also think we should not dwell on anyone's imperfections and weaknesses, because we all have loads of our own. At least I do.

Personally, I have (almost) only great things to say about the organization, the staff, the officers, the magazine, etc. Okay, it's not perfect; let's work together to improve.

Isn't that the whole idea, anyway?

I know I sound like I'm preaching a sermon, here, and I have no more right to "judge" these things than anyone else. It's just how I feel and I wanted to say it. There is a long and growing list of people who have been unbelievably helpful to me and among whom I count my greatest friends, even if I only see them once a year. I think PTG stands for Pretty Terrific Group.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

Thank you, Alan!  Though I might not agree in toto, I certainly agree with the bulk of what you say here.  In particular, it should be remembered that the organization belongs to the membership...or at least, to those who are permitted to vote.  (And that should be one more reason to upgrade to RPT, if one wishes to be involved at the national level.)  We are a very diverse group of people...those on this List are a kind of microcosm (with a few individuals who are not PTG members thrown in for good measure) of the business and I think that shows quite clearly in the diversity of opinion, procedures, techniques and tastes among those who contribute.  That this List--an extremely valuable resource--exists at all is a tribute to the organization recognizing its value once it had outgrown its original setting years ago (thanks again, Newton...we still miss you).  That we disagree from time to time (or even most of the time) is in part owing to the rather solitary nature of the
 profession.  That we come together at Regionals, the National Institute and on this List shows that we recognize the importance of contact with and sharing with others in the profession, hopefully to the benefit of all.

Thanks for putting your finger on the pulse...it helps us all to see ourselves, actually, when we get more insight into you!

Best regards,

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL
jstan40@sbcglobal.net