Journal Cover

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 10:53:34 EDT

David,

Well thought out post.  FWIW, didn't seem like a rant to me.  You  just
brought up some important points regarding our profession, and asked for
professionalism therein.

Most of the people on this list are looking to gain more knowledge and
skill, or to share what they know with those less-informed--or else we wouldn't  be
here.  What I really resent is "technician-tooners" who have no interest  in
learning anything or sharing their piano wisdom with the world at  large.  As
David says, they tune it, take the check, hit the road.   Sort of like
gardners doing the mow-blow-go routine.

Has the PTG as an organization been good to me?  Yes, I'd have to say  so.
My experience has been with individuals who care about what they do,  not with
the politics surrounding the organization.  I've learned a helluva  lot in my
3 years of membership.

I don't know what happened between John Hartman and the PTG, but whatever  it
was, we all lost in the deal.  I guess it's up to all of us to make it a
better organization:  one that doesn't just accept the status quo, but  instead,
looks for ways to improve both on the technical AND business end of  it.

A kickass PR guy...interesting idea.  People need someone to tell them  that
they need their pianos serviced besides the people who are going to  make
money off of it.  A TV ad during the Super Bowl....:-}

Respectfully,

Dave Stahl