Steinway heavy touch

Sat, 9 Apr 2005 08:14:33 +0100

Hello Roy and List
vide: "Max Matthias book Steinway Service Manual" published: Verlag =
Erwin Bochinsky, ISBN 3-923639-15-5 page 165 which reads (inter alia)=20
- Leading of the keys.
Factory weighting approx. 47.gr touch-weight, 20 gr. uplift weight with =
the dampers raised.
- Modifying the wippen lever. This is done by adjusting the capstan =
screws to the rear or front. (13 mm factory setting on Model K, 10 mm on =
Model V, front edge of capstan screw to front edge of wippen heel). =
Adjusting the capstan screw to the front results in lighter touch. This =
tends to reduce after-touch.
- Hammer-butt springs - damper springs.
The damper springs are weighted at the factory, bass 35 gr., treble 37 =
gr.
I have had some dialogue with Steinway head tech about this and he =
informed me that this damper weight is taken at the drum.
Hope this helps
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: rczekay=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2005 2:33 AM
  Subject: Steinway heavy touch

  We all know that Steinway pianos, both verticals and grands have a =
heavy touch. I am now rebuilding a 1975 Steinway console that has an =
extremely heavy touch. Anyone have any ideas about solving this problem? =
Grafiting the hammer butts, adding weights to the keys? All the flanges =
are free and are not causing this problem.
  Thanks for any input that I can receive on this dilemma.

  Roy Czekay,
  Milwaukee, WI