The "Jolly Loop" (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 08 Apr 2005 16:57:45 -0500

> Hi Del
>               I have too much evidence to the contrary.  The end of the
> knot becomes a theoretical termination point, and the helix is almost
> incapable of flexing.

The helix doesn't have to flex with a vertical hitch. The loop
pivots on the hitch. That's the point. A German loop clamped on a
vertical hitch is more restrictive than an English loop that can pivot.

> So many pianos have about a 55mm knot at A0,  and only about 7-10mm of
> flexible string.  James had a clear demonstration model at the Cal state
> convention.  The reaction of all that saw it was wow! The vibration time
> of the new knot vs an English loop is about 3 times greater.

And this is with a vertical hitch?

>To the
> previous writer, it is not Del's hitch pins.  But was developed and
> patented by Harold Conklin of the Baldwin piano company.

And to all writers and readers, it isn't Roger Jolly's loop. It's
called a German loop, and was invented by someone unknown to me,
many years prior to the invention of Roger Jolly.

  > Whilst Conklin's design was a big step forward. I feel the knot
also
> adds some thing.  The feed back on my prototype 6'4'' Knabe at NAMM
> received very positive results. Side by side comparisons of the three
> models re scaled, has been a very obvious improvement..
>
> Regards Roger

This needs to be put in context. There are times when the German
loop will be a definite improvement, and other times when it won't.
It depends on back scale length, core wire size changes with
re-scaling, and hitch type.

Ron N