Splicing Strings

Paul McCloud pmc033@earthlink.net
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 23:41:57 -0700

Matthew:
     Don't worry too much about it.  It just takes some practice.
    Here's what I do.  Hold the old wire straight up.  Use a vicegrips to make a loop which crosses over on the left side.  It doesn't matter which way you make the loop.  I use a vicegrips which has a long nose.  Round nose pliers aren't useful here, IMHO.  Now, take the new piece of wire and hold it straight up, same as before.  Make another loop, but this time, MAKE IT CROSS OVER ON THE RIGHT SIDE.  Make sure that the ends point the SAME DIRECTION.  Hold both the old and new wires straight up, and see that the loops end up on opposite sides of their respective wires.  Both loops are going to be going the same direction.  If your loops are pointing in the same direction and cross over on opposite sides, you're almost done.
    Now, hold the loop with your pliers, squeezing the loop together and bend the loop against the crossover point and a little more, so the loop is leaning over at a 15 degree angle towards the side of the crossover.
    Do the other wire similarly.
    Your loops can be about the diameter of a pencil or smaller.
    Next step.  Slide the loop of the new wire over the looped end of the old wire and down the old wire, over the copper winding.  Bending the loop at an angle allows the loop to slide down the windings of the old wire more easily.
    Now, take the long end of the new wire and thread it through the loop in the old bass wire.    Pull the two loops together by tugging on the two wires as far as possible.  Trim excess wire  from the ends, and try to close the loops as much as possible.
    The hardest part is pushing one loop over the other and having the wires mate properly.  If they don't make a clean knot, separate the two wires again and start over.  The ends of the wire should extend in opposite directions from your knot, and you should see that the knot will tighten under tension.
     The key is in making the loops in a consistent manner, with the loops going in the SAME direction, but the ends of the wire crossing over on OPPOSITE sides.  If you do it this way, you'll get it.  If you make the loops improperly, your knot won't work.
    If I had more time, I'd send you some photos.  Maybe tomorrow.  Hope this makes some sense.
    Good luck,
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego

----- Original Message -----
From: Matthew Todd
To: Pianotech
Sent: 04/07/2005 9:20:28 PM
Subject: Splicing Strings

I tried my first attempt at splicing a bass string.  I followed Reblitz' diagram.  As with all first things, it turned out like crap.  Do any of you have pics of a splice step by step?  I need to do what I'm doing wrong and if I'm on the right track at all.  I need help!!
Thanks!
Matthew

Do you Yahoo!?