keytops

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:00:58 -0400

Plenty of times Oh nameless one. These keys are found on pianos of
distinctly low quality. If you really want to replace the tops quote
properly to build up the keys with wood to replace the current void under
the existing top. They probably won't like the price and will forgo the job
but it's just as well. The piano probably isn't worth the effort i.e.
unless their willing to pony up and pay the price. I usually use the phrase
"anything can be fixed providing your willing to pour copious amounts of
money at the problem". That usually gets their attention and gets them to
thinking along the lines of practicality. If you and they decide to do the
work make sure your properly compensated for it. If you aren't sure how to
bid you can simply state your hourly rate plus parts/supplies.
luck!
Greg Newell

At 05:05 PM 4/7/2005, you wrote:
> From the to they keys look ordinary. When you actually take them out of
> the piano you see that the white keycovers are actually not attached to
> the key on the side, but only held by the plastic having been dimpled on
> the inside and pasted in spots to the thin key iteslf.The actual key is
> so thin that it looks as if the white cover was made into a sort of
> sandwich around the wood, not just attached at the front and face as
> keytops usually are.
>Have you ever seen this?

Greg Newell
Greg's piano Forté