Just an idea...

atonal@telusplanet.net atonal@telusplanet.net
Thu, 07 Apr 2005 07:58:44 -0600

Greetings all,

For new tuning calls, I do as much qualifying over the phone as I can
when booking the appointment: "what type of piano do you have? when
was it last tuned? are there any mechanical problems (sticking notes,
pedal problems, etc.)? was the piano recently moved? before I give a
price for servicing. New customers will always ask tuning price, so
before I state my fee (and forever lock a number into their
conciousness). If there are extra factors to the basic call, possible pitch
raise, sticking notes, I let them know they will be looking at a tuning
charge plus additional charges. Most customers are pretty good over
the phone, if you get this out of the way when you book the tuning. Of
course, there are those who say, "Oh, I don't think I can afford this now"
but I'd rather deal with that up front at the booking stage than after the
job is done and now I'm trying to render a bill.

With an existing client, booking service calls is much easier, as they
have been through the qualifying phase, and the piano is now a known
quantity for servicing.

Regarding client 'education', I find that short explainations work better:
"your piano drifts out of tune due to seasonal humidity shifts" works
well, most clients are happy with that when they ask why it's out of pitch
because no one has played it for years. Yes, you're going to get those
customers who just don't care about their instrument, they don't want to
spend anything more than a tuning fee. Those are the customers I don't
do any 'extras' for: quick capstan adjust, pedal regulation, squeak
finding and elimination. I tune, smile, bill and leave. There are more
rewarding jobs to be done.

Good to see the Pianotech crew again, I've been signed off for a while,
but we're back!

Regards,

Rob Kiddell RPT
Edmonton, Canada