kawai warranty question

David Vanderhoofven david@vanderpiano.com
Wed, 06 Apr 2005 08:43:03 -0500

Hi Tom,

Good question.

Pianos used for teaching, whether in homes or in schools get much more use
than the average home pianos.  Accelerated use equals the need for an
accelerated service schedule.  Parts wear out faster and need to be
replaced sooner.  Tunings need to be done more often.  Hammers need to be
voiced more frequently.  The regulation needs to be tweaked regularly.  And
because of extra wear, expendable parts such as key bushings, hammers and
strings need to be replaced more often.

No piano manufacturer that I am aware of will cover service.  Tuning,
regulation, and voicing are all at the owners expense, and rightly
so.  Kawai, or any other piano company, can't control the end use of the
product.  The piano may be used by a little old lady only on every other
Sunday afternoon for 15 minutes, or the piano may be in a practice room
being used 14 hours a day, every day.  Key bushings would not be covered by
the warranty, unless they were defective when the piano was new.

Kawai has an excellent warranty.  If there is a warranty situation, please
call technical services first and report the problem.  The factory
technician will walk you through the repair and how to do it.  Always get a
authorization number and a warranty repair form from Kawai before
proceeding with any warranty repairs.  It is also good to keep the local
dealer informed.

If a warranty situation should arise with any piano, first call the factory
and the technician will send you the claim form.  After you receive the
authorization form, do the repair and get the customer to sign the form
that they are satisfied with the work.  Then mail the completed form back
to the factory, and they will pay you.

Tom, I would recommend going to the PTG annual convention every year.  That
way you can personally meet all of the factory technicians and discuss any
concerns with them.  You can meet face to face, and look them in the eye,
and go have coffee.  Later, when a warranty situation should arise, the
factory technician already knows you and you already know them, so they can
expedite any problems.

As far as documenting warranty problems, pictures are always nice!  Bring
your digital camera!  Smile!  Be confident!  Answer the questions from the
customer.  Do expert work.  Fill out the form and mail it in.  Get a check
in the mail.  Everybody is happy.

It is a partnership.  If I am doing a warranty tuning for a dealer, I am an
extension of the dealer.  I am looking out for my interests, but also
looking out for the interests of my customer, and also looking out for the
interests of the dealer.  I need the dealer to sell pianos to keep me
supplied with future customers.

If I am doing a warranty repair, I am an extension of the factory.  I want
to do a competent/expert repair to put the piano back in good condition.  I
am looking out for my interests, but also looking out for the interests of
my customer, and also looking out for the interests of the factory.  The
factory is not my enemy!  The factory is my friend!  :-)

How do you get the factory technician to trust your opinion?  Meet the
technician at a PTG convention or seminar.  Or better yet, go to factory
sponsored training sessions.  It also helps your credibility if you DON'T
turn in questionable or frivolous claims.  If you have a question, call the
factory technician first.

The bottom line is, key bushings are not covered by the warranty unless
they were defective 10 years ago when the piano was new.

Hope this helps!

David Vanderhoofven
Joplin, Missouri