When a Godo piano is bad

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 03:41:35 EDT

Ric,

Just catching up, hacking my way through the abundant mail that stacks up
fromm the list, and I read this one.  Sorry for the delay!

My strategy in warranty matters depends on the severity of the  problem.  I
will always contact the company in question(dealer or  manufacturer or both),
explain the situation to them, and get authorization  to try to solve the
problem myself.

I'm honest with the customers, and usually try to go to bat for them in
dealing with manufacturer's or dealers.  I will generally not charge anyone
anything if I can't fix the problem.  Fact is, most customers are  ill-equipped to
explain to a dealer or factory what is wrong with their  pianos.  Sometimes,
as in the case of a Bergman upright I recently serviced  that had serious
key-weighting issues, the real fix would not be covered by the  piano's warranty.
But then, those aren't Godo pianos, are  they...:-)?

Some companies are willing to replace strings--notably, wound bicords in  the
tenor--that are untunable.  Would I bring that to a customer's  attention?
Certainly, because otherwise, if the customer has half an ear,  my tuning
capability will be called into question.

I've been followed up a couple of times by Bill Spurlock when I couldn't
deal with an issue at hand(I broke off an e-z out trying to extract a broken
plate screw and didn't know how to get the remaining mess out of the  piano.  I
ended up getting a valuable lesson in that sort of repair from  Bill).  No
shame in that for me, though it may have cost me some points in  the customer's
eyes.  But I feel that the real issue is whether  or not the customer gets what
they paid for--a piano that works, in most  cases--and whether I get
compensation from dealer or manufacturer(depending on  the problem)for insuring that
the customer is happy with the product.

There are times when I just have to tell people "you get what you pay
for...trade this one up as soon as you can afford it!"

Hope this helps some,

Dave Stahl

.In a message dated 4/3/05 9:42:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,