Hey, Aural Gurus ...

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:39:53 -0500

Thanks for responding, Don. Yes, I'm familiar with the Sanderson and am
actually using a variant of it in a C3-B4 temperament that Peter Clark (RPT
Sacramento) came up with. I guess I've misunderstood Sanderson's concept,
though. The first leap away from an A is step 4:

"Divide the A2-A3 octave into three equal parts by tuning C3 and F3. These
thirds can be tested very accurately with the contiguous thirds test (see
Appendix G). This test states that two contiguous thirds must have relative
beat rates in the ratio of 4 to 5, that is 4 beats of the lower one require
the same amount of time to complete as 5 beats of the upper one. This test
then does not require knowledge of beats per second, only a good sense of
rhythm or tempo. In this case, C#3 and F3 are correctly tuned when 4 beats
of A2-C#3 occur at the same tempo as 5 beats of C#3-F3, and in addition, 4
beats of C#3-F3 occur at the same tempo as 5 beats of F3-A3."

I had assumed you still had to have a "starting place" for F3 or C3, here,
but on more careful reading it seems like you just rough them in and start
tweaking both of them, kinda simultaneously, until you get your ladder
working. Is that the idea? I will have to try it but it seems as though you
could go back and forth in many iterations before you nailed it. Is it not
that tough?

I'm still curious about the P12th D3-A4 bit, though. Is the logic correct or
would different pianos require a, shall we say, less-than-perfect 12th?

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO