April Journal

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Tue, 05 Apr 2005 19:07:07 +0100

Hi there David.

I personally dont have a problem with manufacturers bringing out  or
holding onto old designs as long as they insure good quality control.
But then I tend to value an instrument from the standpoint of how well
the manufacturer accomplished what they set out to do in contrast too
questioning whether the manufacturer could have come up with a better
design.  I've always thought there was so much diversity that just about
anyones tastes should be pretty well covered in some fashion or another,
and that there is never a lack of builders who want to carve out their
own path...  new designs have seemed aplenty to me.

One could perhaps reverse your querrie and wonder why the asians are
always trying some new designs and being thankfull for the conservation
of the tried, true, and trustworthy.  Change is good... so is holding on
to what has been.  Actually, I wonder why the old square idea isnt
revived...especially the early 1800's vintage.  These instruments were
ofte times origionally meant for a similar market as todays verticals,
and I dare say that in todays world they would quite possibly have some
decided advantages over them.

Cheers
RicB