Oorebeeks Punch'ns

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:03:19 EDT

HI Roger
   Very nicely articulated points. I especially like  the idea of let off
punchings. Now that's an EXCELLENT Idea. BTW On My  Stwy D Rick Wheeler made the
key set out of bass wood with big long  maple shoes. Bass wood is tiffer than
sugar pine & and equally as stable. He  also strengthened the key frame arch &
I beleive that pianist of  all abilities can sense the solidity & security
that comes  from  very low action saturation created by stiff keys,frame  &
Andres punchings. Now that's a good combination.
    Your idea of  removing old paper  punchings and using thick cards & as
little paper as needed is  another value added component of custom rebuilding.
  So many things add up to a precisely controlled piano  action.
   Thanks
   Dale

Hi  Ric,
For  several reasons.

#1.   I think this is probably the most  important reason.  The Psychosomatic
effect on the pianist.    Well defined after touch gives the advanced player
a great sense of  security.   They play in a far more relaxed manner knowing
that  every key will behave in precisely the same manner. The tone they create
becomes much sweeter and more controlled in the middle ranges. Comments
like:  Is the touch deep or shallow, are invariably connected to after  touch and
not depth.    ( I am talking about a well regulated  concert piano, before
some one howls about the actual depth.)
Concert  pianos that I look after regularly have had the felt punching ironed
so they  are consistent. Sharp punching are turned over annually to ensure
the key hits  a flat surface..( Sharp punching's groove with heavy playing and
should be  turned over each time dip is adjusted)   Good pianist love
consistent after touch, I am not so sure that they care about an exact  amount.  Now
there is a can of worms. How much after touch is deemed to  be correct?

#2   Stephanie, raises a valid point about key  frame noise and flex.  This
addition of unwanted tone is a serious  factor. When rebuilding Steinway's, the
superior Oak frames of the  1920's.  gives clear evidence of a quieter and
more responsive  action.  Resulting in better tone control. PS. I am not a lover
of cheap  soft  wood action frames, for the same reason that Andre does not
like  mushy punching's.  The soft wood frames absorb too much energy. Lowering
the action saturation point.   On a well regulated / voiced Yamaha  do this
test. Really hit the note adjacent to the centre glide bolt, then do  the same
to a note mid point to the next glide bolt.  You will hear a  slight
difference in tone, and feel a response difference.

#3  Key  flex. This is related to the action saturation problem.  The more
efficiently we can transfer energy from key tip to shank the better the tone
control. Nothing new here, this is why maple shoes are use on concert pianos
to stiffen the key.   A flexing key will alter the sensation of  after touch.
On a hard blow it will give the sensation of no after  touch.  A Baldwin SD10
will regulate to a much more refined after touch  than a Steinway D. Cry all
you want about Baldwin pianos. but the key sticks  are vastly superior. Sugar
pine keysticks, with long maple shoes, and good  long maple buttons.

#4  Andre.  I have noticed a difference  in tone when removing the big pile
of paper/thin card punching's often found  in grands. And replacing them with a
few very thick card punching's. Add to  this, Ironing the felt between brown
paper, it makes a big improvement in  consistent dip and after touch.

Moral of the above points:    The pianist works with after touch to create
tone. Any and all things that we  can do, to make this accurate and reliable,
the happier our clients will  be.

Andre, you have started me thinking.    OMG that's  dangerous ;-)   Have you
tried let off buttons with Wurzen  felt?  Again we find that they are all over
the map in quality and  density.  When replacing them.  We first iron then
with a damp  cloth, to shrink them, then dry iron.  It makes a big difference in
how  the let off and drop regulates.

Warm  regards.
Roger