has anyone seen a 2-manual piano

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Sat, 02 Apr 2005 04:35:03 -0600

Mark,

At 22:44 4/1/2005, you wrote:
>Do any of you know of any pianos from the past (or existing) which
>have two manuals?
>
>The University of Wisconsin--Madison School of Music has the only two-
>manual Steinway D (Hamburg).  It will be used by Christopher Taylor
>for the Goldberg Variations in Madison on April 23, 2005.

There's a two manual piano with a different configuration under Pierre's
care in Brussels.   Lower manual is normal, upper is reversed. (bass
right/treble left) Brain not functional enough yet to remember the
maker.  Belgian, if I recall.  (Pierre, m'aidez, svp)

Yet another variation on this theme at the same location is a two manual
(Érard?) which has the upper manual a half step different.  I kind of looks
like a Moňr keyboard, but the same keystick which plays C in the lower
manual is the B in the upper, so shifting to playing on the upper manual
has the effect of transposing up 1/2 step...

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.