Oorebeeks Punch'ns

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Sat, 2 Apr 2005 05:25:06 -0500

I sure don't know the answer, but I do have one comment that conflicts =
with the statement: "all the motion that contributes to the hammer =
contacting the string occurs before the key bottoms out on the =
punching."=20

That would be the baseball batting analogy and the concept of "follow =
through". When the batter hits the ball, theoretically, after the ball =
leaves contact with the bat, it shouldn't make any difference what =
happens with the batter's swing after that point. But it does. I don't =
know why, but the proper follow through is critical to successful =
batting.

I also don't know if this analogy is applicable to a piano keystroke. =
But maybe!

Terry Farrell

  I'd like to hazard a guess about how these punchings are able to =
affect tone.

  Firstly let's admit the logical problem. If you look at the mechanical =
model, all the motion that contributes to the hammer contacting the =
string occurs before the key bottoms out on the punching. So, =
theoretically, it is difficult to account for Andre's claims about this =
improved tone. We can admit logically that the *feel* of the action may =
be quite different because of the punching, because the experience of =
hitting bottom is such a great portion of the artist's experience. OK. =
But the *tone*? Is this magical thinking? Or may there be a more subtle =
explanation that satisfies logic?

  The truth, I suspect, is in the marvelous nervous structure leading to =
the artist's fingertips. The regulation of aftertouch is, let's say, 10x =
more precise with the antares punching than with a too-soft punching. I =
suspect that the fingers, finding a much more precise bottom, are able =
to deliver that much more precise a blow. Having played and found this =
certain bottom, the *fingers* are now much more sure of how much force =
to use in the attack on the keys. This is what affects the tone. The =
artist's touch is made more effective by the clean bottom.=20

  Does this idea play? Or am I making a rationalization for magical =
thinking?

  jason