Piano Bench Height

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sat, 2 Apr 2005 01:19:39 -0600

  Personally I always want my elbows to be higher than the keyboard.  My
question has always been how on earth did Glen Gould play sitting so low?

dave

David M. Porritt

dporritt@smu.edu

Well try playing a Bach invention with your wrists resting on the key slip.
: )  I don't know if GG did this. (But I did see Horowitz ( I think)  on TV
do this, his wrists were way below the keyboard playing ppp in an adagio
section.   On a low bench  your ears are closer to the sound, and you get a
better look at what keys you are playing.  In other words your head is
closer to what is going on.     ---ric