has anyone seen a 2-manual piano

Mark Ultsch multsch@jvlnet.com
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 22:44:03 -0600

Do any of you know of any pianos from the past (or existing) which
have two manuals?

The University of Wisconsin--Madison School of Music has the only two-
manual Steinway D (Hamburg).  It will be used by Christopher Taylor
for the Goldberg Variations in Madison on April 23, 2005.

This piano may be introduced by presenting some history of this or
other similar pianos. Do any of you know of any other single grand
instrument with a double keyboard?

This piano has an extended-heighth action stack with a five-octave
keyboard "inserted" above the main keyboard.  The upper keyboard
is "coupled" to the lower keyboard at an octave above (like a 4-foot
coupler).  The main, lower keyboard is "normal," but a coupler pedal
allows this keyboard to additionally play an octave above (like a main
to main 4' coupler).  (I'm not an organist and I hope I'm making sense
here.)  Pictures are available on request (450 KB JPEG's).

Thanks for your input.

Mark Ultsch
Assistant Piano Technician
UW--Madison