Zimmerman Grand

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 06:04:19 -0500

Richard wrote:
> Now HERE is a piano I would just love to hear the re-scalers /
> re-designers comments on.  These have to be the deadest sounding
> instruments I've ever run into. And not just the bass either.

Indeed. The tone (or rather, lack thereof) was more-or-less even across the
scale. And overly mellow and dead as a doornail. I guessed there was
something wrong with just this one. Interesting to hear that is common among
them. Actually though, it might be better if Kimballs and the like were
quiet like the Zimmerman.

> Eastern Germany piano, still made I believe and there are a few clones
> I've heard of with similar sound characteristics. They actually held
> tuning well enough, tho they were plagued with lots of false beats of
> various sorts which took on a particular acoustical flavour when the
> overall deadish sound was mixed in.

Indeed. Funky string noise throughout the scale. I don't think I was able to
tune even one clean unison. I was relieved when the lady said "oh, and it
sounds so good now" - I just smiled and said "thank you" when she handed me
the check...... (it sounded like crap).