Humidity/Temp records

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:18:49 -0800

Julia said: "Greetings,=20

          No, I never document the humidity or the temp. I figure it =
really=20
will not tell me anything, since lots of churches turn the sanctuary =
heat way=20
down all week and only warm it up for Sunday mornings and some on Wed =
evenings.=20
When the temp and humidty are fluctuating from week to week in the =
winter,=20
how can you have a baseline at all? I am tuning in there in March with a =
coat=20
on, only the congregation knows what the piano sounds like on Sunday all =
warmed=20
up.

           As far as residential customers, I have no idea of the range =
of =20
warm or cool they like their homes in the passing seasons and some of =
the more=20
affluent homes have central air and dehumidifiers built in. What can =
recording=20
a temp reading from one day in which you visit there to tune, tell you =
about=20
all the other temperatured days in that dwelling? I think,,,,nothing. =
Its all=20
so arbitrary.....Am I being too scientific? Also some customers live in =
wooded=20
areas on mountaintops and others live in mecadam and concreted city=20
surroundings.=20

           I think all temperatute recordings that are eneterd onto a =
chart=20
which the customer could record on a weekly basis would really be da =
bom...(as=20
the Geiko commercial says), but who would ever be willing to commit do =
such a=20
survey? Am I missing something here?....afterall, I do only have a =
wopping 21=20
months in this business. Should I record? What would it tell me?"

Julia,
I notate the temp/humid. on my tuning record(s). I have found it to =
invaluable at times. If I think there is a problem, I suggest the client =
go to Radio Shack and get one of their gauges. I have one, so I show =
them what to look for. This guage keeps the highs and lows in memory and =
will definately let you know if there is a problem. I have many clients =
that do this. When we, (the client and me), find that the house is =
outside reasonable perameters,.....it's damp-chaser time! I've found =
that the clients like to be part of the puzzle when there seems to be a =
problem.<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police