Big hammers

Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:32:09 +0100

Jenneetah wrote:

> At 9:24 AM +0100 9/30/04, Richard Brekne wrote:
>
>> Doesnt take much to alter the ratio for an individual key, and
>> variations there makes getting an even BW tricky usuing Stanwoods
>> method. Its worth the time to try and identify and correct any off
>> line knuckles me thinks.
>

> Ric, you're talking about the knuckles on the new shanks, right? Also,
> the other place to correct ragged lines is in the caps.

Not necessarilly restricted to them... but certainly if you are doing a
full hammer replacement you want to check knuckle allignment. Ditto on
the caps as you mention. You can do all this on an existing action thats
in otherwise good shape as well and make some real touch improvements.
I've gotten into the habit of evening out SW's on most any action main
service I run... and I always look at knuckle alignment. Caps I
generally reserve for larger jobs.

Cheers
RicB