lifting strings

Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:25:30 +0100

Stéphane Collin wrote:

> Hello dear list.
>
> I would like to improve my string lifting skills.
> After a new stringing job and a decent first pass on action
> regulation, when the strings have been tuned about 6 times and have
> stretched out a little, I take my hook and lift all the strings once
> to ensure a good termination at agraffees (or capo).
> Then, I take a little piece of straight aluminium, 1 mm thick and wide
> as three unissons, that I put on the strings at the place of striking
> line.  Plucking the strings tells me what string is higher than the
> others, as the piece of aluminium sits on them and mutes them.
> Ok, nothing new up 'till now.

Nice trick, and one I've not heard before... but you dont have anything
to tell you whether or not the string plane is in level or not.  Not
that leveling strings as well will solve your problem (below) any. The
only advice I can offer is to pull very slightly the first time around.
Dont make more adjustments then you need to to get them level.  Its not
the quickest proceedure in the first place, so whatever speed you build
up is going to be the result of lots of practice more then anything else.

I look forward to hearing other comments tho... yas never knows when
something pops up :)

Cheers
RicB