Evidence of overlacquered hammers

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:34:52 -0700

André,

At 09:36 AM 9/30/2004, you wrote:
  I have come to the definite conclusion that talking about this issue (of
lacquer versus tension) is a complete waste on both sides.
>If somebody really likes the sound of a lacquered hammer, than so be
>it.  I don't know what it is or why it is but this well never settle down.
>I gave up on that a long time ago.
>We might say that there are two schools of listening and there it ends.

I could not agree more; which is why I so seldom post on this subject anymore.

As you so accurately point out, there are different techniques
required/appropriate for different hammers/pianos.  For me, the only real
question has to do with whether the subject piano - that is, the one with
which I am immediately concerned - is sounding/working the best that _it_
possibly can...without regard to brand name, model or whose parts are in it.

All this goes to a technician's technique, what is it's range and domain;
and, what kind of command of that technique do they really have of?  All
too often, these factors are what limits what can be done more than the
perceived, or often even actual, condition of the instrument.

Best.

Horace