Beginner tool Arsonal

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:45:15 -0700

I guess I'd like to give ya my two bits worth. To start: KITS!
i.e. a Kit for each major item: 1. Tuning kit =3D only those tools =
necessary for tuning, inspection, minor repairs, (NO Parts in this =
kit...EVER!), minor voicing & minor regulation.  2. Voicing kit=3D all =
items necessary to do major voicing.  3. Major Repair/Regulation Kit =3D =
every tool know to the world, that will allow you to do anything!<G> =
This kit, I call my Gorilla kit, as it weighs in at 80+ lbs and getting =
heavier every so often.  4. Felt Kit =3D a small sampling of every type =
of felt in every piano known to you. Also, keybed kits, (see Apsco =
catalogue), Bridle straps, etc. 5. Woodworking kit =3D a fairly large =
kit with clamps, saws, chisels, wood, veneer, wood glue(s)..assortments =
therein. 6. Stringing kit =3D contains all tools necessary to do =
Minor/Major String Replacement. Does not have any wire in it, except =
electrical copper wire for threading strings on. 7. Bass String kit =3D =
i.e. ALL of the universals available from Schaff  8. Plain Wire Kit =3D =
Includes All sizes of plain wire for pianos, harpsichords, etc., also =
brass spring wire, for duplicating something weird.  9. Hardware Kit =3D =
Includes all kinds of screws, nails, brads, lid pins, trap springs, trap =
hardware, yada yada. (I actually have three 'kits' for all of the weird =
stuff that we need out in the field!=20
10. Acrylikey Kit =3D everything needed to do in the field Ivory =
repair/replacement. (If it's more than one or two, I prefer to do it in =
the shop. The darned stuff really stinks!)
I have a few other various kits that only go on "special" service call =
thingees.=20
So, there ya have the gist of the ideer, anyho!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I