Fandrich Vertical Action

Mark Davidson mark.davidson@mindspring.com
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:43:07 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Quentin Codevelle writes:

>From the first sight, the only difference I can see is a spring between =
>the jack and the hammer butt and a spring going from the hammer butt to =
>the damper rail.
>Can they be regulated with a screw? What are these springs supposed to =
>do? Help the jack to return under the butt quicker and easier?

The hammer butt spring I think is stronger than normal to better
simlulate gravitational forces that are lost due to the hammer being
more vertical than horizontal.  The other spring acts kind of like a
repetition lever, holding the hammer up while pushing the jack back
under.  I don't think there are regulating screws - not sure.

Notice also that the hammer is regulated to be off the rest rail, as in a
grand action.  The soft pedal lifts the back of the keys, moving the
hammer closer to the strings, while moving the fronts of the keys lower.

I have played one of these.  It is every bit as good as advertised, which
is not something we can often say.

-Mark