Boston front scale noise

Mike Bratcher MBratPianos@Indy.rr.com
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:03:25 -0500

Hey folks,

Went to tune a Boston upright 118s.  Tuned ok except for octaves 5 & 6.  =
It sounded as if it had really bad false beats.  I checked out the =
bridges and seated strings.  No change.  I investigated further.  The =
noise was coming from above the pressure bar.  At one section, I was =
getting as much power above as below the pressure bar.  I muted these =
off with my finger.  This helped at the cost of sustain.  I'm wondering =
if I will need to take down the tension and tighten the pressure bar =
screws.

The customer is a player, but did not complain about the noise.  He =
recently purchased this "USED" piano.  Although the piano was used, it =
is in near new condition.  He called me a couple of days after the =
tuning and complained that when he plays middle c and holds it for a =
long time the sound becomes "discordant".

Any thoughts?

Mike Bratcher