J&C Fischer expanding universe theory

Allan Gilreath agilreath@mindspring.com
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 23:37:14 -0400

Britt,

What size Fischer and how many brackets? I have an action from a Fischer
of similar vintage and we might be able to use the brackets from it as a
pattern.

Give me a call.

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Allan Gilreath & Associates, Inc.
PO Box 1133
Calhoun, GA 30703
allan@allangilreath.com
706 602-7667

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Britt West
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 2004 11:10 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: J&C Fischer expanding universe theory

List,
	I have a 1920's J&C Fischer in the shop which I will be
installing a
new pinblock and strings as well as refurbishing the action with new
hammers, shanks and flanges.  The whippens look o.k. and I will
probably use them after cleaning, repairing and rebushing the flanges.
The head scratcher in all of this is the pot metal action brackets
which have expanded to the point that previous tooners had put 3 let
off punchings stacked up on each note to achieve let off.  I ordered
Schaffs replacement brackets.  These are too short but could be fixed
by shimming underneath. The hammer and whippen rails are fairly close
and could probably be modified to work, the let off rail does not fit
at all.
	I searched in the archives and read about people making new ones
out
of delignite or bridgecap stock.  It will most likely be easier to make
some than to try to get the Schaff ones to work.  Does any one who has
gone through this have any specs as far as to what the original action
spread was.  The original hammer flange height would also be most
useful.  ( I can and will do the math of subtracting the strike
distance from the string height but the hammers appear to have been
previously replaced).  As the old brackets are distorted and broken I
hesitate to use them as templates.  Would anyone happen to have specs
on these or a tracing of the original brackets?
Any help would be most appreciated.

Britt West