Wild String???

Mark Montbriand montbrim@usol.com
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:28:55 -0400

Greetings...

New tuner here...

I am currently taking the Randy Potter Piano Tech Course.
I am in the section of learning temperaments.
A couple problems have arisen that I am sure you generous folks could =
help me with.

While working in the mid-section of the piano, I encounter this..
I have all the necessary outside strings muted and when I go to tune =
certain strings, one string sounds as if it is two strings with very =
wide beats. Although I know it is only one string. This phenomenon only =
happens in the mid-section.

I must therefore get under the piano and mute off that particular string =
between the bridge and the hammer.
Sometimes this works, other times it doesn't do so well.
I am wondering, could I have strings that need seating or something =
else, or just plain worn out.   Suggestions???

It is a Hackley upright. ~1945 and I am raising it ~ 100 cents

Also, any tips on how to hear beats more accurately???

Thank you in advance

Mark