tax deductions?

Fri, 24 Sep 2004 04:23:41 -0700

At 06:49 PM 9/23/04, you wrote:
>How dare you compare an instrument of art with the lowly combustion
>engine! ; )

If you consider that the piano has many more moving parts, I suppose that
it _is_ a preposterous comparison.

However...

If you liken two cars I've owned (in the distant past),

-early '60s Morris Minor woody shooting brake / Jaguar Mark X sedan

to two pianos I've never owned, but have tuned...

-late '40s Lester Betsy Ross spinet / Steinway D,

which of the pairs would give you the ability to go fast under control?
which sounds nicer at all speeds?
which would be more fun to operate?   OK, OK,  the woody is fun in it's own
way...
on which would you be more likely to learn good technique?
which would likely not limit your ability to improve?

On the other hand,

Which would be affordable by someone of very limited income?

To paraphrase an oldtimer, "There's no such thing as a bad piano. There may
be a piano in the wrong location."

If the piano is filling the needs of the owner, it is in the right location.

BTW, I learned some basic auto mechanics on that Morris, but tuning up that
Jag sure showed better results.

also BTW, I didn't race either car - I raced Saabs ;-}

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.