Outdated Information ... Was Laptops vs ETD's

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:02:15 -0500

Something Randy Potter said in a conference class didn't make sense to me at
the time and I never really followed up on it. Then I read a post here that
said "Tunelab requires that you make a judgment about how you wish to do the
stretch and then manipulate the data manually."

This is most emphatically not correct.

Tunelab has evolved, but apparently the word has not gotten out. It is a
powerful, fully-featured, really nifty program IMHO. I've used it for a
couple of years (on an iPAQ Pocket PC).

Three superb advantages:

1. You get to try it, free, before you buy it.

2. It's a whole lot less expensive (at least it has been).

3. It includes a real-time visible spectrum amplitude graph that is VERY
helpful in (a) learning things, (b) tuning the high treble, especially
unisons, (c) fast rough tuning and finding the pitch when the piano is way
off, like in a restringing job, (d) selecting the best/strongest partials
for tuning, (e) identifying/analyzing string/bridge problems like that thar
unison that can never be in tune so fix it or quit worrying about it,
already!

And, no, I don't work for Bob and he's not my cousin or anything. It's just
a great product that I enthusiastically endorse.

In fairness, the only other ETD or tuning program that I've really used on
the job was a Yamaha PT100-II, but I just can't imagine what possible
features or performance differences any of them could have, that would make
them more desirable than the Tunelab—especially for the price.

If you paid me a dollar, I now owe you 98 cents change.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

---