Laptops vs ETD's

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:25:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Matthew,

This is a charged subject ...  but, I will bravely
start:

My preference is for a laptop or a pocket pc.  The SAT
was great for the time when it was designed, but
computer technology has made great progress since
then.  I am not addressing the accuracy of the SAT
here, I am sure it's quite accurate.

Here are some good reasons for using a pc based
platform:

Software can be easily updated on a pc and new
features added. The pc is not tied to the dedicated
buttons and keys for the individual functions.  That
means that the product can be changed easily as new
ideas come along.  The display shows a lot of useful
information.  For example, it's easy to change
partials with a minimal number of keystrokes.
Programs like Tunelab are great educational tools too.
 With a SAT, the measured information is not as
conveniently displayed.  For example, getting
inharmonicity data for every partial of a string is
trivial in Tunelab (especially in TL97).

Comparing Tunelab with the Cybertuner:  The Cybertuner
requires less knowledge of tuning theory.  It figures
the stretch out for you.  Tunelab requires that you
make a judgement about how you wish to do the stretch
and then manipulate the data manually.  (I have to add
here that Dave Porritt once wrote an add-on program
for Tunelab 97 that allows you to do something similar
in Tunelab.)  Both views about ETDs are valid, but
they use different philosophies.  If you just want to
get started and be up and running almost instantly, I
would recommend the Cybertuner.  If you are more
interested in the whys and hows, I would recommend
Tunelab.  I am told that the Cybertuner has a great
pitch raising routine.  You could download the free
Tunelab 97 and get your feet wet on your PC with a
microphone and sound card, or try the Tunelab Pro
trial version.

The problem with a laptop is battery life and the
size/weight.  For this reason, the pocket PC is more
convenient.

Vladan

---------------------- multipart/alternative
attachment
Would it be more advantageous to use a laptop as an
ETD instead of an SAT?  I haven't decided what I want
to do yet, but I would like input...especially for
those of you who have used the software programs
TuneLab and Reburn.

I would think it would be better with a laptop, that
way you also can carry your client records with you
and have everything you need, but I have no idea on
how good or how crappy the tuning programs work.

Can you use those programs with your desktop PC?  I
was just curious in case I wanted to download the free
trial version and try it out on my piano at home.

Matthew