Laptops vs ETD's

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:26:09 +0100

jason kanter wrote:

> I find TuneLab a great tool, and you can use it on any PC (not Mac)
> that has a microphone. After a short initial period, the trial version
> of TuneLab Pro has an annoying message that pops up after you've tuned
> 14 notes and remains on screen for about 3 minutes. (During this time
> you can tune unisons) -- or you can use TuneLab 97, which has an
> entirely different (less intuitively clear) method of setting the
> tuning curve.

I would have to disagree on the point about  TL97 being less clear when
it comes to tuning curves. Actually... the ability of TL97 to be used to
generate tuning curves based on sampled partial information in the same
maner as one conciously approaches an aural tuning has kept me using 97
over its later versions.

A little understanding of tuning theory, and a basic understanding of
how 97 works... and you can duplicate the ear approach very nicely all
the while learning more and more about how partials fit together in the
great puzzle of tuning.

JMV

RicB