tax deductions?

ilex cameron ross i1ex@earthlink.net
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:49:45 -0400

thanks for everyone's feedback. I should have mentioned that I actually do
*not* own a piano yet. other than the one I grew up playing at my mom's
house.

the thing is, Ryan - I agree fully with you in theory, but does that
actually *work*?
thanks,
ilex
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Ryan Sowers
  Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 12:28 PM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: RE: tax deductions?

  In my thinking no piano technician should practice the craft in less they
have a piano. Period. Would you trust an auto mechanic that didn't actually
own, and drive a car?

  Since I see owning a piano as an indispensable part of being a piano
technician I have no problem at all deducting the expense. It's a tool like
my drill press, ban saw, etc. Of course with expensive purchases you
depreciate it over a period of several years. Also deduct the interest if
you are making payments (like me!).

  Having a good quality piano increases your credibility and
professionalism. Having no or a mediocre piano does the opposite.

  How many times have clients asked you: "What kind of piano do you own?"
Definitely a FAQ.

  Very frequently I am encouraging people to upgrade their spinet, consoles,
and worn-out uprights. How could I do this in good faith if I don't
personally value the instrument enough to warrant owning a good quality one.

  David Love <davidlovepianos@comcast.net> wrote:
    I don't think so, but I'm not an accountant. However, you certainly can
    deduct the cost of the piano and the cost of parts you replace when you
    sell it and have to report the sale as income.