Octave Tuning

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:25:51 +0100

BobDavis88@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/22/2004 8:13:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> pianotuna@accesscomm.ca writes:
>
>     the Accutuner site offers information on octave types here:
>
>     http://www.accu-tuner.com/SATIIImanual/aph.html
>
> Good, compact chart. However, be aware that the test listed for the
> 4:2 is incorrect - it should be the 3rd-10th, not the 3rd-17th.

I think the idea there was that if you tune the 3rd-10th AND the
3rd-17th such that both the 10th and 17th have the same beat rate speed
as the 3rd... then you get a just 4:2:1 pair of octaves and double
octave. The problem with this is that it doesnt yeild a good tuning if
strictly employed all the way up, and is indeed impossible to executer
to begin with.  You can try this with Tunelab by directly referencing
the 4th partial of the lowest note of double octaves and tuning all
octaves and double octaves directly to that.  You will find that as soon
as you have progressed chromatically one whole octave and have reached
your first already tuned single octave that things go astray.  You will
need to retune the 4:2 that was previously a 2:1... but then that screws
up what the origional 4:2:1 was...

Example... C3:C4:C5 get tuned as a perfect 4:2:1. Progress chromatically
til you are addressing C4:C5:C6.  Now C4 and C5 are already tuned notes
referenced to C3(4).  But now you want C4(4) = C5(2) = C6(1), which of
course you cant have.  There is no natural way within the octave tuning
perspective to deal with this problem, and we are told to just <<smooth
out>> the difference... a vague and undefined concept at best.  ETDs
approach the problem by simply spreading the whole treble range evenly
based on ETD settings and partials information.  However... P 12ths
tunings simply take care of the whole problem automatically, and a very
smooth transition from 4:2 to 2:1s is accomplished quite naturally... in
addition to providing a solid harmonic foundation of just coincidents
for 12ths throughout the whole treble.

Indeed.. the P12ths concept completely eliminates the need (or
desirablitiy) for generated tuning curves to begin with. It represents a
natural <<built in>> "curve" that is very easily reference either
aurally or with the help of an ETD used to reference already tuned notes.

Cheers
RicB