paint & agraffe plate holes

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:48:17 EDT

2. What is your favorite method of agraffe reaming?  >>

I take a 7 or 8 inch piece of heavy, heavy piece of bass string core and roll
it between two files to form a round rasp about one inch from the end.  Then,
I swedge this roughened section with a hammer until it doesn't quite fit
through the agraffe hole. Cut so that there is about 1/8" of smooth wire in front
of the swedge section and chuck it in a small electric drill.
    The swedging profile will make a very mild burnisher/rasp that forms a
reverse funnel shape, (I know, it is not a true taurus) in the agraffe.  This
has worked well for me for years.  It removes very little brass, but cleans out
all the corrosion and a small amount of the indentation in the top of the
agraffe holes, allowing the new wire to seat itself firmly and without noise.
    The length of the wire also allow me to 'steer' the tool into the
agraffes in the same direction the string will be approaching it.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT