SV: 1879 Steinway A (jacks)

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:51:15 +0100

A440A@aol.com wrote:

>Greetings,
>I wrote:
>

>> <> In regards to the jack's position, I would posit that the most
>> important thing is that it be no further under the knuckle than is
>> required for dependable actuation.

Read no farther <<distal>> (in Eds language useage)  then needed.  If
correctly interpreted... then I stand by my dissagreement.  A bit of
wasted friction is nothing compared to a bit of missing.  If you have to
err... err on the ...er... distal/far/backwards  side.  :)

>Richard writes:
>

>>>Gotta dissagree. Too far out and the key will miss and you loose power. >>
>>>

>     Losing power is not dependable actuation!  If it misses, it is too far
>proximal.  There is a point where the jack delivers full power, dependably.
>Any position that is farther distal is wasted friction.

Er... Ed...   that was exactly my point.

And as to the use of distal/proximal vs forward/back,  far/near....
etc...  really... it can easily be just as confusing depending on your
orientation. Put words into the perspectives of sentences and topics,
take enough time to understand...and we generally do just fine.  Course
that said... I mess-understand often enough as well...grin.

Such is the nature of language.

Cheers
RicB