free tunings

Carol Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 00:12:30 -0400

To David especially, I have a few suggestions to make
concerning getting customers to call YOU when the free
tunings are completed from the dealer.

First of all, that free in-home tuning after someone
has purchased a piano is not really just an appointment
to tune a piano - it is a fantastic business
opportunity for you to get a client!  I doubt most
people will notice or appreciate your technical skills,
but what they WILL remember is whether or not you
seemed interested in them and their piano.

Did you dress nicely?  Did you smile and comment how
nice the piano looked in their home?  Did you ask them
how they liked the piano or if there were any problems?
Did you ask their kid to play a song for you after you
were finished?  Did you leave any literature about how
to take care of the piano?  And most important, did you
not agree to send a post card reminding them when their
next tuning should be done, say in 6 months!!!  Those
should have been your parting words.

If you consider that being a successful business man
piano tuner is 90% customer care and 10% technical
stuff, then you might have better odds of keeping the
customer.  I will say that the "show" is far more
important than any unseen work you might have done.  If
any extra work is needed, bring them into the room and
SHOW them what you are doing!  It makes for great
entertainment as most people have never even seen the
inside of a piano, and are totally fascinated the thing
even comes apart in the first place!

I think people are totally  wowed by electronic tuning
devices. The combination of those little red lights, or
rotating circles, combined with your wearing a tie,
watching a kid play a song, and driving a clean car are
no match for an unknown tuner unless their prices so
undercut you, that they probably give poor service and
will call you back anyway when they get disappointed
with the sound and playability of their piano.

When I was a kid, I was the one who stayed home to let
the piano tuner in the house.  If I didn't like the
guy, I would tell my Dad and he would find someone
else.  Our tuner never joined the guild, but he wore a
beret and drove a red Porche!  He even let me rumage
through his tool bag and gladly answered any question I
ever had.  Of course I was happy with his service!  My
Dad was happy because he thought the piano sounded good
and played crisply.  The guy before him however, came
out and said something I perceived as uncomplementary
about the brand of our piano, so we never called him
back.

Just remember, building your business is more "show"
than competence; keeping your busness is paying
attention to detail and being competent!

Carol Beigel, RPT
26 years in the business