Customer ethics--no more extras!

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:42:57 EDT

In a message dated 9/20/04 10:40:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
draine@comcast.net writes:

> On Sep 19, 2004, at 10:57 PM, Piannaman@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Avery,
> >
> > Uhhh...I don't give the tunings away, the dealer does.  I get paid,
> > but not enough to merit extra work.
>
> I would suggest talking to the dealer about the fact that you have been
> doing more work than he's ben paying for, and you would like to get
> compensated for it by him. After all, these are problems which probably
> existed when the piano was delivered (excess friction in keys, excess
> lost motion, rubbing hammers), not caused by "normal usage" by the
> customer. Does the dealer want good word of mouth from pleased
> customers or not? Try to convey this to him in a straightforward
> manner.
> Some technicians develop very positive relationships with dealers.
> Others don't. I got out of dealer work as soon as I could. As for the
> occasions when I have done some "dealer warranty work" -- well I've got
> a bounced check from said dealer on my desk right now. Warranty work
> for manufacturers has, in my experience, been a much more positive
> experience.
> Patrick Draine

Patrick,

I am more frustrated with customers than I am with the dealers.  I usually
charge the dealer something if my appointment goes into overtime, but I always
give them a good deal.  I have good relationships with them, and it has paid
off.  Lack of customer loyalty is my gripe here.  MOst of the people who do the
"free" tunings here do little more than that, and often don't even do a
necessary pitch adjustment.  I have always tried to make sure the customer is well
taken care of, and as Mr. Bullock said, it is usually not recognized.

Thanks for the input,

Dave S.