Full System Damp-Chasers

Matthew Todd pianotech88@yahoo.com
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:45:46 -0700 (PDT)

When you are selling a Dampp-Chaser to a potential client, do you mention the possibility system, or do you just sell the system without even mentioning the humidifier, and act like the dehumidifier/humidistat is the complete system?

Matthew

Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
DC folks are fine with the dehumidier-only installation in environments that
do not go below 40% or so RH.

If, in such a case, the humidifier is turning on periodically because the
rods lowered RH a bit, you are adding more water to the environment. Then
when the rods go back on, they will have to heat the soundboard even more to
lower the RH back down to the desired level, and on and on.

Bottom line: if you already have enough water in the soundboard, don't add
more!

> If you just install a
> heater bar with no humidity portion to work against it, aren't you in
> danger of having the piano interior too dry?

No, because the humidistat will turn the rods off when the RH reaches
somewhere around 40% or so (although my measurements indicate a higher RH -
but whatever, I'm don't want to get into splitting hairs).

And then from the practical standpoint - pitch is stable like a rock in
central Florida with just the dehumidier portion installations.

Terry Farrell

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm certainly not an expert in Dampp Chaser systems, having only installed
> half a dozen, but it seems to me that there is still benefit in installing
> a complete system here, even with extreme humidity conditions.
>
> It seems to me that this is not a precise system and the de-humidifier and
> humidifier bars will overshoot matters quite a bit. If you just install a
> heater bar with no humidity portion to work against it, aren't you in
> danger of having the piano interior too dry? I think there may be a
> benefit of always installing a full system so the two systems (humidifying
> and de-humidifying) can interact with each other and better compensate for
> overshoot in either direction.
>
> What does Dampp Chaser have to say about this?
>
> Corte Swearingen
> Chicago
>

> "Joe Garrett"
>

> link.net> cc: