1879 Steinway A

Mon, 20 Sep 2004 08:56:25 +0100

Hi Paul

We go back and forth on the advantages and dissadvantages of given
amounts of key mass. For myself, I beleive in fairly standardized
amounts, and by that I mean what statistically can be seen over history
to be an average.

As long as you dont get into draconian amounts its certainly
justifiable. Alternatively you could combine assist springs (which your
old A probably had) to do part of the job.

However... these old puppies played the way they did because of how they
were configured. Moving up a c ouple notches on the Strike Weights,
countering with an increase in key counterbalance is definanatly going
to alter touch somewhat.  For example... this one had about a 6.3
SW-balance ratio and a SW curve that was well light of what that ratio
could easily handle. Key leading  is about 3-7 grams under Stanwood
maximums in the samples I took and I doubt I will have to change that
much.  Springs were used to get static touch weight down to around 34
grams BW.  I'll be lowering the ratio a bit with the move to 17 mm
knuckles, increasing hammer weight a bit, and probably keeping FW levels
pretty much like they are.  Its going to feel a bit different for sure.

I'll post the sample data  this evening.

RicB