1879 Steinway A

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 05:50:50 -0400

Hey Richard,

You certainly know what the effects of altering geometry are. I can't
imagine that you could move the knuckle out 3.5 mm and not change the
geometry. Did the original work well? Is the new setup better or worse? Are
there other flanges available that would work better? Can you move the
hammer flange rail (or were Steinways "totally tubular, man" even back
then)? Even if you can manage to position the jack properly with the knuckle
core, does the jack align (orientation) well with the knuckle core?

Basically, I think what the piano needs is a new soundboard.

Terry Farrell

www.farrellpiano.com