CA glue

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:20:51 EDT

David writes:

<< Maybe harder isn't the best way to express it.  Resistance to
compression is what I'm thinking of.  While in the case of a loose
bridge pin where the space is very small CA seems to work fine (though I
think epoxy is better assuming you have a way of delivering it) CA is
not really designed for "gap filling" in spite of the label on the >>

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "epoxy".  I know that the stuff that
comes in the tubes at the hardware store is NOT hard, even when set.  While I
wouldn't want to be hit with a chunk of it, when it comes to acoustical
transmission, I don't think that stuff is very transparent.
    The West System resin that I have used, on the other hand, (actually,
when I use it is ends up on both hands, face, shirt, and a foote, sometimes),
seems to be much harder.  It takes a day or so to get there, but the runners that
I can peel off the glass jar snap much more cleanly than the usual epoxy
mixes I have used.
   If you need to fill a gap with CA, a light packing of baking soda, first,
and then wetting down with the water thin CA will make a small rock.
Something about the matrix action of the soda's granules.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT