Finish repair on a Baldwin Upright

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:24:17 -0600

I service a light cherry colored Baldwin upright that is four years "new"
out of the store.  There is a dent in the clear finish on the sliding
"fallboard" that needs repair.
I'm not too familiar with finishes so here are some questions.  A divot was
taken out of the clear finish (always, always secure the tuning hammer
before spacing crowded strings).  I don't know if this is lacquer or
polyester.  How can I tell?
Once identifying the finish, either or, how do I repair it?
I've got good sources for these as a finish carpenter (my other work), but
I haven't familiarized myself with their use.

Thanks for your help.
Andrew