Environmental tuning mysteries: solved, hopefully

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:38:22 EDT

Esteemed list scholars and such,

I don't know how many of you remember  the case of the corroding strings on a
brand new Kawai Rx-3 I encountered in January of this year.  I followed up by
strongly suggesting that they stop mopping the radiant concrete floor with a
vinegar-water solution(acid steam beath), which they did.  I thouroughly
cleaned the strings, tuned the piano a couple of times, and went back a week ago,
and voila--no more corrosion!  Not only that, the bloody thing was so close to
being in tune I almost felt badly taking the money--well, not really...

#2.  I've been tuning a Steinway M that has new strings, hammers, pins,
block, wips, but I'm not sure about the board.   She's a very good customer, gets
her piano tuned every 6 months like clockwork.  I first tuned the piano 2 years
ago, and today was my fourth trip out.  First time, it was 10-15 cents flat.
Second time, it was 10 cents or so sharp, third time, 10 cents flat; today
5-10 cents sharp.  I do know how to stabilize a piano, so this was a mystery to
me.  At least until I heard the air conditioner go on.

It's been hot in these parts lately, and pianos are going flat in droves(the
houses in this part of CA are built for earthquakes, not inclement weather),
but in the case of this piano, it's in a very large luxury home, with all the
amenities.  Unfortunately, the piano is directly under a duct that dumps cold,
moist air directly on it.  I'm convinced that is what's going on here.  In the
winter, the heat comes out of the same duct, but to slightly less effect,
since the heat rises.  The duct is now permanently closed.  More details next
time.

Any comments or thoughts on this one?  Just thought it was kind of
interesting.

Dave Stahl