String challenge

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:18:11 EDT

I tuned a Baldwin H grand the other day with a similar problem.  The piano
hadn't been tuned for years, and was 30-50 cents flat.  I wasn't having a
problem with getting the string to move(solved pretty nicely by Protek, in my
experience), but I was having a hard time moving the string to stay where it was
supposed to in many cases.  I'd get close, then "pop!"  It would move up above or
below pitch.  I suspect that the strings have small indentations, nicks, or
bends in all the wrong places as a result of being so far flat.

Could this be the case with your Schimmel?  Did it require a significant
pitch raise?

Dave Stahl