String challenge

TLJ chief_retired@pacinfo.com
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:52:33 -0700

I recently tuned a Shimmel 5' 8" grand for a new customer.  I encountered a
"new to me" challenge.

The strings angle downward steeply as they leave the tuning pins.  The are
then redirected sharpely horizontally as they pass through the agraffes.

As I begin to tighten a string I would frequently hear a pin sound.  It is
similar to the sound heard when breaking a rusty bass string loose.  The
challenge for me is that I would have to pull the tuning hammer quite a bit
before anything changed. All of a sudden I would hear this ping sound and
the string would suddenly go sharp. Gently loosening the pin "a micro
smidge" and it would go flat.

It seems to me that the string is almost "sticking" to the agraffe and then
breaking free.

This situation is making tuning stability difficult. Once I settle the pin
with test blows all is fine until the owner plays the piano (mostly
classical music) and then I am getting string movement on some notes.

This is probably a very simple issue but I am at a total loss.  Any
suggestions will be appreciated.

Terry Jack
Eugene OR chapt