plywood keys???

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 07:28:17 +1000

>Why would it do away with the flex?
>
>Terry Farrell
>
>----- Original Message -----
>From: "Horace Greeley" <hgreeley@stanford.edu>
>To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
>Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 2:54 PM
>Subject: Re: plywood keys???

Hi Terry, Horace et all.

The Grotrian 275 that we rebuilt in 1995 had the keys that Horace is
referring to. They have a hardwood laminate (about 3 mm thick) on the
top and bottom layer of the key stick. This is indeed a very good
idea. Because the maximum stress in any loaded beam is at the top and
bottom edge of a beam, the key stiffness can be improved considerably
with a minimum mass penalty if this layered approach is taken to the
manufacture of keyboards. Indeed, keys could be made using a very
light wood in the core of the key with hardwood (eg. rock maple)
outer layers to achieve a key set with a very high stiffness per unit
mass. I manufactured the key stick for the action model I took to
Reno in 2001 in this way, using Australian King Billy Pine for the
core and Rock Maple for the top and bottom. The depth was only 24 mm
but the stiffness was/is impressive. I like the idea. It hasn't found
its way into our pianos yet, but it has been on the 'ideals' list for
some time. Thank you Grotrian for contributing to the evolutionary
knowledge pool.

As an added bonus, the upper hardwood layer provides a very stable
substrate for the white key tops, while the bottom layer helps to
reduce balance pin hole wear/deformation.

Best,
Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY