research: right vs left ear

Ray T. Bentley ray@bentley.net
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:09:02 -0500

I do, Jason.  I have always used my left ear for extra-critical
listening while tuning.  I thought it was just me!

Ray

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ray T. Bentley, RPT
Registered Piano Tuner-Technician
Alton, IL
ray@bentley.net
www.ray.bentley.net <http://www.ray.bentley.net/>

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of jason kanter
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 2:40 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: research: right vs left ear

We all know about right-handedness and left-handedness, right-eyed and
left-eyed dominance, and the ongoing research about the differences
between the functioning of the left brain vs right brain. Now there is
evidence that the left and right ears are "programmed" differently. "We
were intrigued to discover that the clicks triggered more amplification
in the baby's right ear, while the tones induced more amplification in
the baby's left ear," suggesting that the left ear, being connected to
the right brain hemisphere, is better at tones/patterns/waves/analog
info while the right ear is designed from birth to specialize in
"clicks",  which are digital/consonants/binary pulses fed to the left
brain. See scientific american:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003
<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003&articleID=0000EC2C-11A4-1
142-87D683414B7F4945> &articleID=0000EC2C-11A4-1142-87D683414B7F4945

Do we listen to our tunings more with our left ears?

Jason Kanter . piano tuning regulation repair
jkanter@rollingball.com . cell 425 830 1561
serving the eastside and the san juans