Mason & Hamlin AA scale.

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:08:17 EDT

Ron
   This drawing & bridge placement look very similar to the  1929 Mason A I
have posted about previously. It had 5 bichords & very good  break. Tom Cole
now owns the piano. Is it done yet Tom?
  What becomes of the very long tenor extension beyond the transition?  How
much of it is really benificial. Yes some of it would lend mass to the low  end
of the tenor bridge with plain wire which would be good.
 What's usual in these designs?
   Dale

>Hi  Ron!
>
>I'm not sure I  understand how you want to achieve  this and why it's easier
>to adjust the impedance by using 3  bridges.

With the usual two bridges, the low end of the tenor is  pretty close on the
soundboard to the low end of the bass. Since the low  bass wants a
considerably more flexible board than the low tenor, one of  these bridges
won't get what it wants from the soundboard assembly when  they are in close
proximity. Adding a transition bridge separates the low  tenor from the low
bass and gives you more room to tailor the soundboard  impedance (with rib
placement, panel thickness, grain angle, bass float,  mass lading, and/or
whatever) to more nearly meet the needs of the scale.  With the transition,
you can now make soundboard impedance in the low  tenor more nearly match
that of the high bass (which is what you ideally  want) without killing the
low bass.

Here's a sketch showing both  the original tenor bridge, and a transition.

>And, would you put  2-string unisons on both tenor and bass bridge, or just
>on the tenor  bridge?
>
>  Calin Tantareanu

Wrapped bichords on both  the high bass and the transition, plain wire
trichords on the long  bridge.

Ron N